Belgian Waffle with Peach Yogurt

A few weeks ago, Miss Yunks celebrated her mom’s birthday with a brunch feast at the house.  Don’t worry, Mom, I won’t say your age here.  I’ll just talk about this amazing brunch spread.

We wanted to indulge in a special brunch buffet but also wanted to eat at home, so, instead of dining out at a restaurant, we turned the kitchen island into a brunch buffet.  This photo shows the waffles, topping, and fruit salad.  Waffle toppings included papaya, mango, pineapple, blueberries, leftover chocolate icing from the birthday cake (more on that later), and jam.  The jams were really for the biscuits we made from our Flying Biscuit cookbook.  Flying Biscuit was one of our favorite breakfast spots to go to in Atlanta when my sister was in college.  Their biscuits are light and flaky on the inside and shiny and sweet on the outside.  Apparently I forgot to photograph everything else we ate besides the waffles.  That happens when there’s just too much food around and all I’m thinking about is eating, not photographing.  Usually Dad and I make the biscuits, but this day my sister made them.  She also made a fantastic frittata with caramelized onions, spinach, tomatoes, herbs, Monterrey jack cheese, and goat cheese.  We also had home fries and a giant fruit salad.  Our brunch feast at home was just as good, if not better, than a buffet at a restaurant.  And, I got to take leftovers back to my apartment.  Leftovers like this Belgian waffle.  I toasted the leftover waffle and topped it with peach Chobani yogurt and poured maple syrup on top.  It was a perfectly sweet, indulgent, and protein filled snack.  Our family Belgian waffle recipe is from the Joy of Cooking book.  Our buttermilk pancake recipe is also from this book. Want the recipes? Let me know!

Where was the best brunch you’ve had recently? At home or at a restaurant?

This entry was posted in Brunch, Featured, Recipes and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

9 Comments

1. Michelle
    Posted March 29, 2011 at 7:39 AM | Permalink

The best brunch I had recently was at Russell House Tavern. Their breakfast pizza and Bloody Mary selection are awesome!

2. Elizabeth
    Posted March 29, 2011 at 8:29 AM | Permalink

Those waffles look SO good. It’s been so long since I’ve made my own.

3. brenna
    Posted March 29, 2011 at 9:10 AM | Permalink

I just had brunch this past wkend @ Sonsie — the food was amazing and the drinks were delicious! Instead of a bread basket to start, they had a blueberry muffin basket!

4. Michelle
    Posted March 29, 2011 at 1:00 PM | Permalink

What a great idea, to have brunch at home! I love Cambridge Common’s brunch – their Bloody Marys are delicious (not to mention ginormous).

5. Megan
    Posted March 29, 2011 at 1:25 PM | Permalink

Looks like so much fun! Best brunch I’ve had recently was at Russell House Tavern! Good friends and amazing Bloody Marys!

6. Susan (Oliepants)
    Posted March 29, 2011 at 2:01 PM | Permalink

It’s posts like these make me wish I had a waffle maker. I have been really swooning over my French toasts brunch lately – at home! I am too lazy on a late weekend morning to go anywhere. :)

7. Fit Chick Britt
    Posted March 30, 2011 at 2:16 PM | Permalink

I love brunch! I had the BEST italian brunch for easter last year. I wanted to do brunch for my wedding, but the inlaws and parents didn’t like the idea :-( so we ended up doing finger lunch-y foods. I might steal this waffle bar idea for guests in the future.

8. Amanda L. (Tales fro
    Posted March 30, 2011 at 6:13 PM | Permalink

Looks great!

9. Elina
    Posted April 18, 2011 at 9:06 PM | Permalink

What a fun concept. I’ve never hosted brunch actually. I’m not a morning person so I feel like I’d screw it up. lol
    Happy birthday to your mom :)

One Trackback

• By Food Therapy from The Foodies at Work | Public Radio Kitchen on April 22, 2011 at 10:18 AM

[…] us great brunch ideas suited for Easter or any other (Sun)day. Here are two stellar examples: Belgian Waffles with Peach Yogurt (left) and Mini […]